Thursday, February 01, 2007

Ok, so I received my 'eco-conversion' kit from Melaleuca(which by the way means tea-tree oil which most of their products contain). I was impressed with the little packaging used. Instead of Styrofoam(the devil's bedfellow), they used inflated plastic bags which are easily recycled here. That said, there were a number of repeats on the promotional material and they could have been more aware on that end. I will have to recycle them...So, I think I went overboard. I received so many cleaners I am not sure when I will get through them all. That said...it will be a while before I test any other brands. I've had several people suggest the natural line from Shopper's Drug Mart called 'Method'. Apparently, there are lots of yummy scents in that line. A neighbour also suggested Seventh Generation's fabric softener in a yummy scent(lavender I think). I've also had the suggestion of Claudia's choice for everything laundry related. I've added the link for that one as many people have suggested the dryer balls and I plan on giving those a try as well.

So, as far as Melaleuca...I did laundry yesterday(and continue on today). The laundry detergent comes in a 2.8L jug with an insertable pump. The pump measures out enough for one load. It is apparently quite concentrated as this jug is supposed to do 96 loads. It cost $21.99(when not in the conversion kit) which makes it a 22.9 cents/load. It has a nice, mild, fresh scent for those like me, but it also comes unscented. And, it cleaned well. I'm happy with it. I never had any extremely soiled items, but on regular everyday clothes it did the trick. I added the Mela Brite which is the equivalent of Javex II to my whites and the fabric softener(Mela Soft) to everything. No static clean and bright whites. To be sure, I was never a fan of bleach(I was just joking about the bleach before) as usually I ended up ruining something rather than cleaning it so I am not sure if I would purchase the Mela Brite again. I'm not sure if I would actually use it. And, like I said, I plan on trying the dryer balls so the fabric softener might be moot. I'm opening up about all my nasties when I say that I am a fan of stain removers...find me a mom who isn't. They are a must at my house. I am thrilled with the 'PreSpot' as I find it works as well as any of the others(I admit to trying them all). Some of the more long standing stains proved difficult, but newer stains became nonexistant.

Here comes the part where everyone says to themselves...it figures. So, we don't have reception on our television...we just use it for videos, but no I'm not one of those crazy non materialistic type treehuggers(okay, well I am a bit, but I believe in balance...more on that later). Anyways, I had no idea that 'wrinkle relaxers' existed. That said, I am not a big fan of products created in the hopes of creating a need...but, I have to admit to liking this one for all of our t-shirts that don't always come out of the dryer wrinkle free. Will I buy it again...hmmm...the jury is still out on that one.

I'm hoping to get through my usual cleaning today and try out all the other products. Just to reiterate Melaleuca is only available through a consultant, but there seems to be lots around who have purchased the membership just to get the cheaper price on the products. I've not looked into membership, but have been told that it is not expensive. So, the switch has been made. Now, apparently, I have to properly dispose of the hazardous waste that sits in my cupboard that I used to clean with. Anyone?

Lastly, just wanted to note that Al Gore was nominated for a Nobel Prize today. Yay!! He is speaking in Calgary the day after Earth Day. For Bob and I to go would be over $300(with babysitting), so I think we'll have to hear all about it from our neighbour, Lyle. I have been talking with Bob alot about the awareness that has been generated by the movie(and perhaps other major events). It feels like it is the tipping point in swaying public opinion and now more than ever people are actually interested in how they can help. For a couple who have been interested for years, it is nice to see this sway in public opinion. Go Al Go!! You've got my vote all the way! I've got to run and take out my compost and organize my recycling...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.