Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Have you heard the one about how Tim Horton's decides where they are going to put their next franchise? They drive along the highway and, when they no longer see a Tim Horton's cup in the ditch, they know they've found the right place.

Comedy or tragedy? It's a fine line...mostly, because it's so true! Even Timmy's knows it and they have started to put up no littering signs. Their cups are everywhere! We here in Canada have an addiction. The drive thru coffee. You know you're guilty...we're all guilty. I remember when Starbucks only had one in town. What a novelty. Now they are everywhere...and I, for one, couldn't be happier. I love getting a cup a joe on the go...but the paper cups are driving me over the edge. So...a new challenge!!!

Stop getting paper cups at the drive thru. I know that most of you have received a nice travel mug for some sort of gift or another...it's time to use it. I know that it is easier said than done...so keep a clean one in your car. We started trying to do this a while ago. It definitely takes transition time. At first, I just wanted to cut back on my daily Starbucks so we got an espresso machine. And, now, I always use a mug. In fact, I started making my own coffee at home 90% of the time. The other day when we did go through a Timmy's, I noticed that they poured my coffee into a paper cup before pouring it into my travel mug...so I think that you will have to skip the drive thru to save the mug...just to let you know. Same goes for water bottles people...reuse ones you have purchased or go out and buy yourself a pretty pink one the next time you skip the Starbucks drive thru(I noticed them there today).

Just to update you on my previous challenges. I am doing awesome with resusable bags. My mom being fabulous at spotting a bargain called me to say that I was insane to purchase expensive bags when you could just run down to the dollar store and get them for...get this $1!!! So, I did just that and the dollar store in Okotoks had a big bin of them. I'm set. Went grocery shopping today and no bags followed us home! And, Safeway gave me a $0.24 credit on my bill for bringing my own bags. My mom also likes those bins from Superstore although I have heard that in Calgary, some Superstores don't like you using them...I've not tried though so I can't verify this. I still plan on buying some reusable produce bags and a funky carryall that holds my coffee travel mug among other things.

My Cleaning products have been fully 'greened'. Love the Melaleuca dishwasher detergent. Pretty happy with most of their products, but I did find that the 'Nature Clean' brand of glass cleaner worked better, as did, the Nature Clean Tub and Tile Cream Cleanser over the Melaleuca brand(less scrubbing). I plan on definitely continuing on with Melaleuca for my laundry needs and dishwasher detergent. I think when I run out of other stuff, I might try the Method brand(available at Shopper's and Safeway).

It warms my heart to hear stories from people of changing lightbulbs and composting. Today, I got an email from one of Bob's engineering school pals whom I have never met. He told me all about how lovely it is to be riding his bike to work now. He started doing this aproximately three times a week three weeks ago because of the carbon output from his larger vehicle. Of course, he lives in California where you can do such a thing with little effort in February(Bob has been known to do this in Calgary, but not often and certainly, not lately). Our friend has seen condors, ducks, heron, and fish jumping...not to mention he has the opportunity to see the sun rise and set during his ride. All things being connected, he loves the way it is making him feel emotionally, physically, and ecologically ;) Man, I just smile when I get emails like that.

No comments: