Thursday, February 22, 2007

So, my coffee maker died. I don't think it suffered(at least, not nearly as much as I did upon discovering it in that vile state). It was, after all, I think my own fault. You see, the last time I cleaned it, I got water where water is not meant to go. I'd like to say that I took its death well, but, unfortunately, I did not. I shrieked, I cried, I blamed other people and, finally, I thought of the movie "The Secret". I put it out there--to the coffee gods--a wish that it would return to its original glory and provide me with the sweet nectar I so desired(OK...so I needed it). I walked away and left it up to the universe to provide me with what I wanted. And, it did. That damn movie worked! At first, I smelled the sweet aroma and then I heard the percolation. Alas, it was short lived. Miracles cannot overcome pure science(I can hear Bob chuckling now). The next day it was dead again.

This is the third in a string of appliance deaths in our household as of late. First, was our microwave. Then came our frying pan(it was a slow death, but it was time to admit that it was gone). And, now, the unimaginable--the coffee maker. For most people, there probably isn't a moments hesitation. Just run out to Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire or The Bay and replace those things. But, for us, it gave us pause to think about our ecological footprint. What do you do with these things? Send them off to the landfill? Not a place we like to send things. So, in our thinking, came some lessons for those of you who would so quickly replace them.

First, the microwave...how to survive without one? That was the first question we asked ourselves. You know, it wasn't that long ago people actually didn't even have these things. Now, they seem so essential. We tried for a couple of weeks. That's how long it took Bob, the mechanical whiz kid, to take a look at it. He took it down off it's shelf, removed the back of it(that's where we noted that it was purchased in 1991--not bad, we've had some good years with it), and quickly realized that a fuse had been blown. Off to Radio Shack(oops, I mean The Source) and in a flash, our old microwave was back up on its shelf--good as new. Well, not new, but as good as a 16 year old microwave can be. We saved ourselves some cash(we'll spend it in Spain) and saved the landfill that giant piece of junk for awhile.

Next, the frying pan. Well, I hate to admit it, but it's Teflon. And, the whole Teflon being banned thing was starting to get to me...and the Teflon had mostly disappeared. I realized--it had to go to the landfill. But, I did some research to avoid sending another frying pan there this quickly(that pan is 5 or 6 years old). I am not a fan of cast iron. I know that many of you probably are, but I don't like my pancakes to taste like last night's fish or curry and the thought of having multiple pans doesn't thrill me...you know, one for savory, one for sweet...A neighbour of ours recently bought a ceramic pan at Costco and was raving about its nonstickability. So, I started a search. Costco, working the way it does, was all sold out, but a couple of weeks ago, Williams-Sonoma got their first run of these new fangled pans in and I was one of the first to buy one. It was $70, but it is heavy duty construction--restaurant grade and I think it should last a long time. It is so nonstick that even I am shocked. It has a removable silicon handle so I can put it in the oven for my almost famous frittatas(well, famous to Bob). The lesson here was I tried to find a solution that would outlast the previous one. Cross your fingers and hope that I've got it.

And, finally, the coffee maker. Well, it is still sitting in its place of honor awaiting Bob's attempt at fixing it before I run out and upgrade her. Don't say this too loud, but I have my eye on a beautiful, stainless steel one by Kitchenaid. Poor old girl. Part of me really hopes it's her time, but part of me doesn't want to send her to the landfill...so torn. I'm not sure which side I'm cheering for more. I'll keep you all updated.

No comments: