Friday, January 26, 2007

Ok, ok...so I have been busy this week so there has been little time for me to sit down and 'blog' about my green living attempts. Excuses, excuses, but in reality when you are a full time mom you can always use the 'busy' excuse and no one will ever question you. I have a new challenge. A simple one this time. Don't worry, I didn't forget about my last challenge...on the contrary, I just ordered the 'eco-conversion kit' from Melaleuca and it should arrive next week giving me lots to talk about then. But, until then, I thought I would put out another challenge. Something that I already do. Well, ok, I am supposed to be already doing, but to be totally honest I actually suck at doing it, so it is one of those 'resolutions' that I am constantly trying to achieve. I thought that by putting it out there as a challenge it would motivate me to get better at it. Drum roll please...use reusable bags when shopping. I thought that I would quote from Al Gore's book "An Inconvenient Truth" to give some background on the whole plastic bag thing:

"Americans go through 100 billion grocery bags every year. One estimate suggests that Americans use more than 12 million barrels of oil each year just to produce plastic grocery bags that end up in landfills after only one use and then take centuries to decompose. Paper bags are a problem too: To ensure that they are strong enough to hold a full load, most are produced from virgin paper, which requires cutting down trees that absorb carbon dioxide. It is estimated that about 15 million trees are cut down annually to produce the 10 million paper bags we go through each year in the United States."

So, enough statistic babble...you probably get the point. Not a bad idea to use reusable bags. So, for myself, I have been keeping them in my front closet with the intention of taking them with me whenever I go get groceries(or shop period). Well, in the commotion of trying to get myself and two kids out the door without a temper tantrum, those bags are almost always forgotten. For Christmas, at one of those crazy gift exchange things, Bob got the book "It's Easy Being Green" by Crissy Trask. In it she suggests...and here comes the big compact fluorescent in my head coming to full brightness...keeping a set in your car. Brilliant! So, now I'm going to go out and buy like 8 of them(I only currently have 3) for both vehicles. I am also committing to not using them as 'garbage bags'. I'm cutting back on my plastic consumption. I know that they can be recycled, but recycling is not always the answer.
And, in the spirit of this conversation on plastic bags, I am going on the hunt for a beautiful shoulder bag that I can carry with me now that I no longer need a diaper bag. Al Gore suggests the website www.reusablebags.com and I've checked it out and I think I actually might place an order with them. Of particular interest to me were the reusable produce bags. And, I like the heavy duty grocery bags that are kind of square as they will carry my groceries better. There were also these really cool shoulder bags made from recycled rice bags which I thought might pass as cool enough for me. We'll see. I'm off to the grocery store...well, as soon as my coffee kicks in!

No comments: