Thursday, January 18, 2007

So, I am working on my second challenge. This one will be slightly different than the first because it is a challenge for myself, as well as, anyone else who is interested...so it may take me a while to finish it. You know--I have to do all the proper research or Bob will not be happy. It's finally time for us to 'green' our cleaning supplies. To some this might seem like an easy step. Just switch to the baking soda and vinegar recipes you can find on the web. Well, anyone who knows me knows that there is no way I am taking the time to make my own cleaning supplies. Most of the time I think it is a miracle that I can even find the time to clean at all so I don't want to add to the problem. And, I have always thought that if one is going to encourage others to embrace a new way of doing things then that way better be as palatable as possible. Me measuring out baking soda into my toilet is not my idea of a good time. Talking over my options with my neighbours who have already made the switch--an apple martini in one hand and some nice cheese on a pretty cracker in the other is more my style. You think I'm joking, but I'm not.

For me, this change has been somewhat elusive on my green journey. I honestly think it has something to do with being a child of 70's advertising. You know that whole "Mr. Clean will clean your house" song plays over and over again in my head while I clean my bathroom. I think that it is the advertising that they do through scent that has most influenced me. I mean you walk into a house cleaned with Pine-Sol and you know it. The scent is undeniable. And, I like that scent(or the scent of any cleanser, really). It says to me--this house is clean. After you spend a couple of hours cleaning, it's nice to have some sort of evidence that you did it. Well, I'm giving that up. Most natural cleansers I have found in the past have no hint of a scent(except maybe vinegar). I know they are bad. Don't get me wrong. Just google up some lists of nasties that can be found in cleaning agents and your heart will sink. Bleach! Bleach! I need bleach to clean my kids whites. Have you ever seen what chocolate milk can do to a white dress shirt? I'm putting this all aside people. Giving it up. If you need to see a list of nasties...I've posted one on my website.

So, first things first, I'm tackling the bathroom. When I think of 'natural cleaning supplies', I think of ineffective and expensive. So, I asked my neighbours(whose house always seems freakishly clean) and they suggested that I try 'Nature Clean' available here in Calgary at Planet Organic and Community Foods. One thing that I found interesting in my reading was the idea that labels should give a timeline for how quickly they biodegrade. So, on their website they note that the majority of their products are 99% biodegradable within 28 days using the European standard of testing(which I automatically assume to be better than the American, but I really have no idea). I found them to be quite affordable at under $4.50 for a large spray bottle(23 fl.oz) and under $7 for the tub and tile scrub. The company states on their website that their packaging is made from recycled milk and water jugs; and their display materials made out of recycled cardboard. So, they seem green, but do they clean?

Well, they do. And, I am actually totally impressed as they clean really well. The glass cleaner did not leave streaks(I've heard that this is a problem with alot of natural cleaners and anyone who has tried vinegar and water mixtures knows that it's true of that as well), but it did smell like vinegar. And, that is one thing they are totally missing--scent. Ah...I am leaving it behind and trying to change my own crazy perception of what clean is. So, after cleaning my first bathroom, I quickly lit a lovely scented candle, put it up high where little fingers couldn't reach it, and moved on to the next. I'm a convert. I'm also interested to hear what products other people use as I'm willing to try others.

Next, I will look at clean laundry supplies by Melaleuca. I've already been impressed by their stain remover(absolutely necessary with small children), but I don't like that I have to order and wait for it as, truthfully, I'm not that organized and usually have to buy stuff on the fly. I'll wait...

No comments: